Why does diet affect your lung NET?
Patients with lung neuroendocrine tumors, known as lung NET, like most patients with cancer, can benefit from making healthier food choices.
Although it is unknown if eating healthy foods can change the course of your lung NET, a healthy diet may help relieve symptoms or nutritional issues, such as specific nutrient deficiencies, caused by your tumor. In addition to respiratory problems, a lung NET may cause diarrhea or upset stomach. A healthy diet may help relieve these symptoms and will help you feel better and stay stronger.
Remember, since each case of NET is unique, it’s important to consult with your healthcare professional (HCP) and/or nutritionist before making any changes to your diet. Your HCP and/or nutritionist can help
- Determine if you are at risk for nutritional issues
- Make proper adjustments to your diet
Help your HCP and/or nutritionist evaluate your diet
It’s important to share everything about your lung neuroendocrine tumor with your HCP and/or nutritionist, especially your eating habits. Certain foods or drinks may make the symptoms you are experiencing worse. By sharing details about your diet with your HCP and/or nutritionist, you can work together to make the right changes for a healthier lifestyle.
What you can do
- Share the types of foods you eat with your HCP and/or nutritionist, so he or she can help assess the amounts of nutrients you are getting
- Identify foods and substances that may cause symptoms related to your lung NET
- Talk with your HCP and/or nutritionist about the foods that may affect your symptoms
- Ask your HCP and/or nutritionist about foods he or she recommends to help you relieve symptoms and maintain good overall health